[Dirvish] dirvish branches (2)

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Aug 19 09:37:43 UTC 2008

A blast from the past... :)

On Fri 07 Jan 2005, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Here is an addition to the wiki with an example of using branches:
>
> http://www.dirvish.org/wiki?VaultBranch
>
> Not complete yet, but go ahead and edit it if you think I am
> rectocranially inserted.

I'm finally playing around a bit with branches, and have a question:

    Daily backups can use these lines in /etc/dirvish/master.conf:

    Runall:
       tomusr   03:00
       rh9usr   03:00

This will give a message "cannot open config file: default.conf"
as dirvish will try to open a rh9usr/dirvish/default.conf file,
but there are only "dick.conf" and "jane.conf" there.
Or am I missing something?

I need to specify in the Runall:

        rh9usr:dick     03:00
        rh9usr:jane     03:00

i.e. explicitly list the branches.

It would be great if that were not necessary, BTW...
Perhaps indicate to dirvish that all branches need to be backupped by
specifying "rh9usr:*" .

Also the following phrase is a bit confusing:

    The two vaults contain three per-vault dirvish configuration files
    for the different /usr partitions ...

After my first quick reading I thought 2 x 3 = 6 configuration files
total were needed.... Perhaps the "per-vault" could be deleted.

Paul Slootman