[Dirvish] Why is dirvish in /usr/sbin?

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon Jul 10 11:24:41 UTC 2006

On Mon 10 Jul 2006, Eric Mountain wrote:
> On Sunday 09 July 2006 23:44, Johannes Kastl spake thus:
> > I would consider running a backup not only an administrator thing. But
> > I guess that was my failure.
>
> I agree it is debatable...  I guess an individual user could want to run
> dirvish to run backups within their own home directory for instance.  In the
> general case however, dirivish does not work well unless it is run as root
> (because it has to copy ownership, permissions etc. exactly).

For those who know enough to use dirvish for their home directory, it
should not be a problem to enter the full path, especially since it'll
generally run from a cron job, I suspect, of at the least from a wrapper
script that supplies the correct parameters automatically.

Compare to the other utilities found in /usr/sbin, such as netstat.
Usable (to some extent) by "normal" users, but not suited to everyone.

Paul Slootman