[Dirvish] Why is dirvish in /usr/sbin?

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Sun Jul 9 22:08:02 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 July 2006 23:44, Johannes Kastl spake thus:
> I would consider running a backup not only an administrator thing. But
> I guess that was my failure.

I agree it is debatable...  I guess an individual user could want to run
dirvish to run backups within their own home directory for instance.  In the
general case however, dirivish does not work well unless it is run as root
(because it has to copy ownership, permissions etc. exactly).

> There is no rpm for suse, at least I have found non, so I alien'ed the
> deb file.

That is packaged by Paul Slootman who hangs around this list.  He already
provided insight on his reasons for packaging it this way in this mail:
http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2004-December/000030.html

> Are there any problems when running it as non-root? Apart from
> mounting (which AFAIK could be done) I could think of none.

If you're backing up files you don't own, you'll have problems duplicating
ownership attributes and permissions, which in turn will lead to rsync being
unable to hardlink files between backups.  See this thread for an example of
someone hitting this problem:
http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2006-June/000853.html

Cheers,
Eric