[Dirvish] Small question on the use of hardlinks in dirvish

Johannes Kastl bierkastl at freenet.de
Sun Jul 9 21:47:26 UTC 2006

Am 09.07.2006 23:05 schrieb Eric Mountain:

> I won't say it's the intended behaviour, but it is definitely the *expected*
> behaviour of the software dirvish relies upon to perform the backup per se,
> i.e. rsync.

OK.

> Basically, AFAIK rsync makes no attempt to figure out file movement or
> duplication between directories in order to "optimise" space used on the
> target.  In particular, it won't try to be smarter than you: you made a copy
> of the file, so as far as rsync is concerned, these are 2 different files in
> 2 different directories

OK, point taken.

> (if rsync tried to compare all your files amongst
> themselves to find duplicates and hardlink them on the target, it would run
> very slowly indeed I think).

Yes, I would agree.

>   I would expect it to work if you hardlink the
> files (since the inode will be identical on the source) instead of copying
> them, but I haven't tested this.

I will.

Is there any switch to tell dirvish/rsync to look for "duplicates" to
save space? Not that I would need it, but if it would exist I could
just decide for space or time...

OJ
--
`However, let us assume that you have invited me warmly into your
house. It is unwise to linger overlong on doorsteps in these troubled