[Dirvish] Small question on the use of hardlinks in dirvish

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Sun Jul 9 21:05:22 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 July 2006 22:09, Johannes Kastl spake thus:
> Is there something wrong with my installation or usage of dirvish, or
> is this intented behaviour?

I won't say it's the intended behaviour, but it is definitely the *expected*
behaviour of the software dirvish relies upon to perform the backup per se,
i.e. rsync.

Basically, AFAIK rsync makes no attempt to figure out file movement or
duplication between directories in order to "optimise" space used on the
target.  In particular, it won't try to be smarter than you: you made a copy
of the file, so as far as rsync is concerned, these are 2 different files in
2 different directories (if rsync tried to compare all your files amongst
themselves to find duplicates and hardlink them on the target, it would run
very slowly indeed I think).  I would expect it to work if you hardlink the
files (since the inode will be identical on the source) instead of copying
them, but I haven't tested this.

Cheers,
Eric
--